Village of Elmwood
Board of Trustees Regular Meeting
September 4, 2019
The Village of Elmwood Board of Trustees met in regular session on Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at the Elmwood Village Hall. The meeting was called to order at 7:00pm. Chairperson Miki Bruns stated that a current copy of the Nebraska Opens Meetings Act was posted; additional meeting documents were available. Roll Call was answered by Miki Bruns, David Ernst, Becky Kicak, and Kathy Goerlitz. All signed the “Notice of Acknowledgement of Meeting”. Notice of the meeting was given, in advance, thereof by posting in three public places (the Post Office, Village Office, and Elmwood Convenience Store). Minutes were taken by Kristen Janssen, Part-time Clerk.
A motion was made by Wray seconded by Kicak to approve payroll and claims. Rcv: Yes: All, No: None, Absent: None. Motion approved 5-0. Claims: Ak-Sar-Ben Pipe and Sewer $810.00, Cass County Refuse $74.00, Clark Enerson Partners $1050.10, Elmwood Small Engine $10.85, HOA Solutions $528.37, Layne Christensen Company $265.00, League of Nebraska Municipalities $1885.00, Michael Todd Company $35.01, Nebraska Department of Revenue $1065.51, OPPD $628.29, Windstream $41.20. Payroll: $2556.92.
- The USDA Water and Sewer form was discussed and clerk stated that it needed to be turned in after the budget was approved.
- Marie Gregoire presented two different concrete bids both from Dostals construction for concrete work in the park. One has more concrete work and the other has more limestone. She proposed conditionally approving the company to do the work and then approving the work once we hear about Midlands Grant. A motion was made by Wray seconded by Ernst to conditionally approve Dostals as the contractor for the concrete work in the park, with actual approval of work after Midlands Grant is awarded. Rcv: Yes: All, No: None, Absent: None. Motion approved 5-0. The trees in the park were taken out. Loren was trenching for the electrical lines and will finish later. Agri-builders putting in hydrant and doing dirt work around the picnic structure. They will be putting a fence up to keep people out of work area. Drainage was the only change made to the schedule. Building permit was free, so that saved money in budget and trail may wait to get fully resurfaced until next year, doesn’t need to be done this year.
- Miki was approached by someone about the MoPac, to have it connect by the brush pile so residents don’t have to cross the highway to get onto that side of it. NRD owns the land. Miki will talk to NRD and will meet to discuss options. Issue was tabled until next meeting.
- Ulmer discussed wanting to host car show on August 1st 2020. A motion was made by Kiack seconded by Goerlitz to approve the Ulmer car show for August 1, 2020. Rcv: Yes: All, Non: None, Absent: None. Motion approved 5-0.
- The budget hearing was moved to Monday September 16, 2019 at 7:00pm.
- ADP estimate was tabled for more information.
- JEO was contacted was stated that changes cannot be made to the planning and zoning book without a committee. Need to ask around for some people to join. Tabled until next meeting. Kiack to talk to Bill and Deanna about coming to meeting.
- 208 E D Letter is still being worked on.
- Nunez pets all had paperwork from last year. Clerk was able to find physical copies of paperwork. Board acknowledged it was in the wrong and apologized because it should have been taken care of the year before. Stated once animals perish they cannot be replaced, if more than allowed per ordnance. Mr. Nunez spoke stating that his family was trying to legally license their pets and give the town the revenue. Wants to know how others are being held accountable. Has had more than 6 animals for 10 years they have lived here, doesn’t know when it was changed and stated that Lincoln and Omaha have higher limits at up to 8 animals.
Reports of Boards, Commissions, and Committees
Library: A motion was made by Kicak seconded by Wray to approved payroll and claims for the library. Rcv: Yes: All, No: None, Absent: None. Motion approved 5-0.
Park: Started dirt work
Streets: Patching will be done before October 1. Received a bid for a new street project to be done next year, will bring it back up in November to decide.
Water: Lead & Copper mostly good results, but a couple higher than usual- customers notified. Tried to get a timeline from HOA for fixing well, but haven’t got one yet.
Sewer: Talked to Johnson and will be out next week, will take about 2 days.
Public Comment: Kurt Shrader (1014 S 268th St) was here representing the Elmwood-Murdock Merchant Association to be a cheerleader for the main street project. Stated that they were here if board needed any assistance. Bruns stated they had a meeting and confirmed they would have direction for the buildings on September 18 meeting with monthly updates after that.
Future Agenda Items: MoPac, ADP, Contact Penny for library, put together planning/zoning, letter to 208 E D St
Executive session: A motion was made by Kicak with a second by Wray to enter executive session at 8:19pm to discuss personnel and property. Rcv: Yes: All, No: None, Absent: None. Motion approved 5-0. A motion was made by Wray, seconded by Kicak to end executive session at 9:12pm. Yes: All, No: None, Absent: None. Motion approved 5-0.
A motion was made by Goerlitz to increase full-time maintenance person’s wages by 3%. Rcv: Yes: Bruns, Ernst, Kicak, and Goerlitz, No: Wray, Absent: None. Motion approved 4-0.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:13pm.