VILLAGE OF ELMWOOD
Board of Trustees Regular Meeting
June 5, 2019 – 7:00 p.m.
The Village of Elmwood Board of Trustees met in Regular Session on Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at the Elmwood Village Hall. The meeting was called to order at 7:03 p.m. Chairperson Bruns stated that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act was posted; additional meeting documents were available. Roll Call was answered by Kathy Goerlitz, Pat Wray, Miki Bruns, and Rebecca Kicak. Dave Ernst was not in attendance. “Notice of Acknowledgement of Meeting” was not available as Village clerk has been absent. A copy of the proof of publication, as well as the Chairperson and Trustees’ acknowledgement of receipt of notice, are on file. Notice of the meeting was given in advance thereof by posting in three (3) public places (the Post Office, Village Office, and Elmwood Convenience Store). Minutes were taken by Rebecca Kicak/Board Member.
Approval of Minutes: Minutes from May 1, 2019 & May 15, 2019 were not available due to absence of Village Clerk. Approval of minutes postponed until next meeting.
Approval of Claims for Payment: Motion by Wray with second by Goerlitz to approve the Payroll/Claims for May 1, 2019; May 15, 2019 and June 4, 2019 as presented, RCV: Yes: Bruns, Goerlitz, Kicak; No: None; Abstain: None; Motion approved 4-0
1. Building Permit at 1319 286th Street – approved Last week
2. Fence Permit at 112 N 1st Street – A motion was made by Kicak with second by Wray. RCV:
Yes: Bruns, Goerlitz, Kicak, Wray; No: None; Motion approved 4-0.
3. Front Patio Permit – 309 East E Street - A motion was made by Wray with second by Goerlitz.
RCV: Yes: Bruns, Goerlitz, Kicak, Wray; No: None; Motion approved 4-0.
1. Barricades on Main Street Update – A discussion was had to purchase Barricades to place in front of the dangerous buildings on Main Street. Originally, a member of the community had offered to obtain some for free but they were not able to follow through. With the safety of our community and future patrons, it was necessary to move forward. The village had an opportunity to purchase 16 barricades at $25 each for a total of $400. A semi was needed to deliver the barricades to Elmwood at a rate of approximately $300 per trip with the thought that at least 2 trips would be required, not to exceed delivery fees of $800. Once the barricades are in place we will find a way to paint or add reflective tape to the barricades. In the meantime, the original caution barricades were placed on the North and South ends. The funds spent on this purchase will be logged under the property owner’s expenses for nuisance buildings. A motion was made by Kicak with a second by Wray. RCV: Yes: Bruns, Goerlitz, Kicak, Wray; No: None; Motion approved 4-0.
2. June 15-Village Clean-Up Day – Event cancelled due to lack of help. We are hopeful to revisit this in the fall.
Page 2 June 5, 2019 Minutes Cont.
REPORTS OF BOARDS, COMMISSIONS, AND COMMITTEES:
Library: No minutes to approve – attendance down at the String Beans but good turnout overall.
Park: Marie Gregoire provided an update on the park. Crushed rock will be used on the access road. The Brick Project is planned for a future phase of the Park Project. We discussed the need for a barrier for the front entrance to the Gazebo off of the entry for safety, such as pillars etc. A request for approval of plans by Clark Enerson & Partners to put out for Bid was requested. A motion was made by Goerlitz with a second by Wray. RCV: Yes: Bruns, Goerlitz, Kicak, Wray; No: None; Motion approved 4-0.
A Request for wood chips to replenish the playground area was presented. The cost of the Wood chips is $1700. 00, funds are to be used from the EPIC fund. An additional request for rubber matting to be purchased to go under the heavy foot work area, such as the swings, spinner toys, etc. This is necessary because the wood chips in this area get worn away and the playground fabric is now exposed creating a hazard. The rubber mats are expected to cost approximately 519.87. We will need thirteen in total. A motion was made by Kicak to approve the purchase of the rubber mats, with a second by Goerlitz. RCV: Yes: Bruns, Goerlitz, Kicak, Wray; No: None; Motion approved 4-0.
Streets: B Street: Some issues were discussed such as Rock washing out; Contractors parking on North side of the street. There was discussion about reaching out to home owners. Miki will call JEO to see what the original plan is with Streets B&C. Board members raised an issue regarding the Coop’s portion of that road. $7500 was allotted for this years budget street repairs. Hayden can touch up paint on parking spaces on Main Street. A motion was made for East D Street repair and Culvert clean out. Wray made a motion to approve funds not to exceed $400. A second was made by Kicak RCV: Yes: Bruns, Goerlitz, Kicak, Wray; No: None; Motion approved 4-0.
Water: No Issues
Sewer: No Issues Lots of water with the rainfall we have had. The plant pumped 300 gallons per minute. Everything is working fine.
Planning/Zoning: Next meeting to be held on Thursday, June 27 @ 6:30 p.m.
Public Comment Period: None
Personnel: PT Office help – 4 applications were received. Applications were reviewed by the board. The interview board conducted an interview and presented a recommendation to hire Kristin Janssen as the PT Office help @ a rate of $12.50 per hour. A motion by Goerlitz was made with a second by Wray to hire Kristin Janssen and have her start work as soon as possible. RCV: Yes: Goerlitz, Kicak, Bruns, Wray; No: None; Abstain: None; Motion approved 4-0.
Future Agenda Items:
Parking resolution for McNaughts
Approval of 5/1, 5/15 and 6/5 Minutes
Adjournment: There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 8:07 p.m. I, Rebecca Kicak, the undersigned hereby certify the foregoing is a summary of all matters discussed at the June 5, 2019 meeting of the Board of Trustees, and was available to the public within ten working days. All proceedings were contained in the agenda for at least twenty-four hours prior to said meeting.
Miki Bruns, Chairperson
Rebecca Kicak, Board Member