VILLAGE OF ELMWOOD
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
February 5, 2020
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
Meeting Held at Elmwood Village Hall
The Village of Elmwood Board of Trustees met in Regular Session. The meeting was called to order at 7:00pm. Chairperson Miki Bruns stated that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act was posted. Roll Call was answered by Pat Wray, Becky Kicak, Dave Ernst and Miki Bruns. Angela Lancaster joined at 7:01pm.
Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to approve the minutes for the January 22nd meeting and the corrected minutes from the December 10, 2019 minutes. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 5-0.
Wray made a motion, seconded by Kicak, to approve the payroll and claims for February 5th. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 5-0. Claims: Huber Technology Inc: $145.00, JEO Consulting Group: $800.00, Kristen Janssen: $60.12 & $89.99, Lincoln Journal Star: $289.68, NMPP: $67.53, OPPD: $3339.16, Personnel Concepts: $10.90, U.S. Postal Service: $11.95 & $175.00, Utility Service, Inc.: $2438.09, ADP: 79.60, Ak-Sar-Ben Pipe and Sewer Cleaning Company: $675.00, Aldrich Foundation: $25.00, AMGL: $7075.00, Cass County Refuse: $65.00, Cornhusker Press: $15.55, D.R. Ortlieb Trucking: $279.62, Elmwood Public Library: $2166.67, Frontier Cooperative: $232.19, Windstream: $.076.
- Michael Hoback with AMGL was present to talk about the audit that was performed in November 2019. He stated that overall the Village is in good shape across the board. He reviewed all the documents and stated areas of improvement and areas of strength.
- Bruns presented a census map that needed to be reviewed for accuracy. Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to approve the map stating that it was accurate. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 5-0.
- The notice of bid for the street project was presented to vote on approval. Wray made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to approve the notice for bid to be published and to allow bids to be received for the street project. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 5-0.
- Clerk Kristen Janssen stated that a representative from Zito media had been into the office to issue a complaint about a member of the community who cut one of their fiberoptic cables from and OPPD power pole. She stated that he wanted to make it known that they rent the poles from OPPD and have permission to hang the new cables from them and that they won’t be pressing charges this time, but if it continues to happen they will be pursuing legal action against the party involved.
- There were two complaints about water bill late fees that were presented. Neels Trailer outlet issued a complaint about receiving a delinquent notice and late fee, stating that they didn’t receive a bill. The board stated that once the bills leave the office it is out of the Villages hands and that it is known that bills are due every month. Robert Fleischman issued a request to be made penalty exempt. The board decided that no action would be taken to make their account penalty exempt.
- The Clerk presented information about utilizing email water bills for those customers who want to use the service. The board decided that they would allow it as a trial to see how it goes.
- The Clerk presented information about utilizing automatic payment of bills that reoccur every month. The board decide that they wanted to be able to approve the bills before they were sent out, so it would stay the way it is.
- Bruns and Lancaster presented information about how interviews for the clerk position went. Bruns recommended Kathy Steffen for the clerk position at $20/hr. Wray made a motion, seconded by Kicak, to appoint Kathy Stephens as the new Village Clerk at $20/hr. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 5-0.
- There was a discussion on when clerk school was (March 16th-20th) and that per Maureen the Village lawyer it would be beneficial for the new clerk to attend. Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to send Kathy to clerk school not to exceed $400 for the schooling. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 5-0.
- There was discussion on the sewer maximum charges that are assigned to customer accounts. The Clerk stated that she reassessed sewer maximums on all accounts because a customer questioned their water bill and was not assigned a maximum. She stated that it wasn’t a sewer increase it was an average based on the last 6 months’ worth of water usage. The board stated that they would like a policy in place so that rates can be reassessed at the same time every year. They will be reassessed in 6 months.
- The Clerk presented information about the January 27th Webinar which was regarding nuisance buildings and grants available for municipalities to deal with such buildings.
- The action and discussion on tree removal services was tabled until further information could be provided.
Reports of Boards, Commissions, and Committees
Library: Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to approve the payroll, claims and January 6th minutes for the library. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 5-0.
Park: Ed Blunt stated that a new drinking fountain was needed.
Streets: Blunt stated that they received two loads of chips for the streets
Water: Blunt stated that they took special samples this week and last week. He also stated that the Village of Panama is in need of a meter read machine for the Neptune meter. He said that we didn’t use ours anymore and asked if it would be ok to send the old meter to the Village of Panama for them to use. The board agreed that would be fine.
Sewer: Blunt stated that he will send in the 24hr composite next week. Curtis Klabenes stated that he could sign up for the wastewater class starting next Tuesday, but that he would need $210 plus books if they are needed. Wray made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to approve Klabenes to attend the wastewater course in Wahoo not to exceed $600 for the class, mileage, and books. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 5-0.
Planning/Zoning: Next meeting is scheduled for February 25th at 7:00pm
Public Comment: None
Future Agenda Items: Email water bills, sewer maximum charge policy, tree removal, gazebo insurance policy.
Without any further information to discuss the meeting was adjourned at 8:23pm.
Minutes taken by Kristen Janssen Village Clerk/Treasurer