VILLAGE OF ELMWOOD
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
January 8, 2020 – 7:00pm
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
Meeting Held at Elmwood Village Hall
The regular meeting of the Village of Board of Trustees was Called to Order at 7:00pm. Chairperson stated that a current copy of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act was posted. Roll Call was answered by Angela Lancaster, Becky Kicak, and Miki Bruns. Pat Wray and David Ernst were absent. Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to approve the December 18th minutes. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 3-0. Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to approve the Claims and Payroll for January 8, 2020. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 3-0. Claims: Frontier Cooperative: $85.76, Meeske Ace Hardware: $92.39, USPS: $25.19, HJ Dance, LLC: $847.46, ADP, LLC: $94.20, Cass County Refuse: $74.00, Cornhusker Press: $74.00, Elmwood Fire Department: $258.25, Elmwood Murdock Merchants Association: $25.00, Midwest Laboratories, INC: $111.80, NE Public Health: $15.00, Office Depot: $91.87, One Call Concepts: $21.52, OPPD: $3446.07, Windstream: $279.23, WireBuilt Company:$29.00. Payroll: $2096.50.
- There was a discussion about the fence permit for 220 E C St. The fence will be located around the parameter of the property and made of chain link. A motion was made by Kicak, seconded by Lancaster, to approve the fence permit 220 E C St. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 3-0.
- A second bid was received for tree removal, but the company isn’t insured at this time. Clerk is to call and ask if insurance has been obtained. Tabled until next meeting.
- A copy of the current insurance policy was presented for review. Kicak stated that the new gazebo should have coverage added. Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to approve the insurance plan as stated with no additional coverage and with the understanding that clerk will bring gazebo coverage amount. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 3-0.
- Bruns provide information about the Lower Platte South – Hazard Mitigation Plan Review. She stated that there was a draft to look at. The draft was of the information Bruns and Kicak came up with from the meeting they attended this fall. The final draft will be submitted at the end of January.
- Information was presented about a sewer rate increase was presented. Any decision was tabled until next meeting.
- Brad Slaughter was present to talk about refinancing the sewer plant. He stated that with a refinance he would be able to lower the yearly payment and take a year off the term of the loan. The board discussed this as an option and decided that it would be best for Brad to return for the January 22nd meeting to discuss further.
- Information was presented for Tressa Stubbendeck’s water bill late fee. Discussion was had by the board if any action would be taken to remove the late fee accessed on her bill. It was decided that no action would be taken to remove the late fee from her account.
- There was nothing to report for 208 E D Street
- The community center tree stump was tabled until next meeting.
- Christensen Tree service bid was tabled until next meeting.
Reports of Boards, Commissions, and Committees
Library: A motion was made by Kicak, seconded by Lancaster, to approve the December minutes and payroll and claims from the January meeting. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 3-0.
Streets: Nothing to report
Park: Ed Blunt stated he would be taking the Christmas lights down from the gazebo tomorrow
Water: Blunt stated that there was a water leak that would be taken care of tomorrow and that the nitrate samples were sent in.
Sewer: Blunt stated that the starter went out on skimmer motor and that the electrician was looking at getting parts for it; the 24-hour composite was sent in.
Planning/Zoning: Next meeting scheduled for 1/21/2020 at 7:00pm
Correspondence: Bruns stated that there was a webinar on January 27th from 1-2pm about the NDEE’s Brownfield program. The clerk is to listen to it and take note to report on at the next meeting
Public Comment Period: None
Personnel: Nothing to report
Future Agenda Items: Tree bids, insurance prices for gazebo, Brad Slaughter, 208 E D St, Community Center tree stump
Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to enter executive session to discuss the maintenance position recommendation, a legal issue, and personnel for clerk. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 3-0 and executive session was entered at 8:12pm
Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to leave executive session. RCV: Yes: All. Motion was approved 3-0 and executive session was ended at 8:54pm.
Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to offer Curtis Klabenes the full-time maintenance position at $23/hour. RCV: Yes: All. Motion was approved 3-0.
Kicak made a motion, seconded by Lancaster, to post an advertisement for the full-time clerk position at 29 hours a week. RCV: Yes: All. Motion approved 3-0.
Without any further business the meeting was Adjourned at 8:56 pm. Minutes were taken by Kristen Janssen, Village Clerk/Treasurer.